- Lat. 37°54’–38°04’N
- Long. 140°41’–140°51’E
- Located in Sennan District of Miyagi Prefecture, Tohoku region
- Approx. 300km (186 miles) north of Tokyo
- Approx. 40 km (25 miles) south of Sendai, the prefecture's capital
- 13.3 meters (43.8 feet) above sea level (at City Hall)
- 147.58 sq. km. (56.98 sq. miles)
- 15.15km (9.41 miles) Width E-W
- 18.35km (11.4 miles) Length N-S
The City Kakuda lies in the Igu valley which is nestled between the Zao and the Abukuma Mountain Ranges. The gentle slopes are ideal for cultivating fruit and the base of the valley is a flat plain littered with rice paddies. The Abukuma River meanders through Kakuda from the southwest to the northeast towards the Pacific Ocean and is fed by several smaller streams. The network makes the plain one of the richest rice producing areas in Miyagi Prefecture. Kakuda is well-known for its ’hitomebore’ and ’sasanishiki’ strains of rice.
Kakuda's climate is temperate. Summers are typically very hot and humid and feature a short rainy season during the months of June and July. Winter is cold with a moderate amount of snowfall. The spring and fall months are typified by notmally clear skies.
|Average high temperature:||36.3°C(97.3°F)|
|Average low temperature:||−15.7°C(3.7°F)|
- 30,976 as of March 31, 2014
In 1598 the Ishikawa Clan took over the area surrounding encompassing Kakuda and built a castle town from which the streets of modern-day Kakuda sprang. The castle was located on the hill where Kakuda High School currently rests. Shipping along the Abukuma River flourished and at the beginning of the Meiji Era in 1868 it was known as the hub of commerce for the south area of Sendai. However, with the advent of the railway, which initially bypassed Kakuda, the area's trading activities gave way to agriculture.
In 1889, a law governing municipal organization went into effect and the present area of Kakuda City was organized into Kakuda Town and six villages: Edano, Fujio, Higashine, Sakura, Kitago, and Nishine. Later, in October 1954, a new law was enacted to merge all seven areas, and the Town of Kakuda was created. The town was formally made a city in October 1958. Since then it has built on its agricultural and metropolitan foundations.